Acknowledged as one of the easiest Himalayan treks and, yes, shortest too. Triund trek, Himachal Pradesh, is a popular 2-day trek for being the weekenders and first-timer’s getaway from nearby cities like Delhi and Chandigarh, offering perfect for clicking views of snow-covered Dhauladhar ranges and the pleasing Kangra valley. Not limited to beginners, it also grants a little steep but relatively short climb for the adventure seekers.
A walk amidst rhododendron and oak trees makes it a tailor-made trek for groups and solo trekkers. This trek defines both the Himalayas and the states of Himachal Pradesh with its beauty and serenity to get lost in. The bird-watchers in the group have a chance here to spot some songbirds in the forests while appreciating the ascent.
Triund Trek distance is only 14kms and is easily accessible from Dharamshala or Mcleodganj. The main reason for its popularity among travelers is the distance of Mcleodganj to triund that attracts many for a good getaway. On the contrary, weekdays are also highly recommended to plan Triund for a more peaceful experience. Many take up the opportunity for a thrilling weekend, which gets the place crowded during the end of the week. McLeodganj, aka Little Lhasa, offers an exploration opportunity- to observe the best of Tibetan Culture as this short trek barely grants enough time to travel out of plan. As for mobile networks, BSNL or Vodafone works the best in the this trek area.
Also Read: Hampta Pass Trek
Find the this amazing trek at the best price on online. Book now and explore the amazing views and natural beauty!
Triund Trek Overview
|Start Point/End Point||Mcleodganj|
|Duration||2 Days & 1 Night|
|Best Time||March – December|
|Triund Trek Difficulty Level||Easy to Moderate|
|Trek Height||2,850 m (9,278 ft)|
|Airport||Gaggal Airport, Dharamshala|
1. How to Reach Triund Trek?
Triund, Himachal Pradesh, has a small village named Dharamkot as the base camp near McLeodganj at just 2km of distance and a short 25-minute walk from the bus stand. Another way is to hire taxis from McLeodganj, which would total 8 km.
- Taxi or Bus: From Delhi, the best-preferred way to reach McLeodganj is to transportation through an overnight bus going to Dharamshala. Its dropping point would be the main square of McLeodganj.
From Chandigarh, you can hire an overnight bus from Chandigarh ISBT to McLeodganj. It will be a journey of 6 hours to the destination.
- Airways: The nearest International airport is New Delhi International Airport [175 km].
Available nearest domestic airports are Kangra/Gaggal, Domestic Airport at 21 km, and Pathankot, Domestic Airport at 96 km.
2. Triund Trek Height And Difficulty Level
Triund is rested at the height of 9,278 feet above sea level in Himachal Pradesh. Listed as one of the easy grade treks in the Himalayas, the basic health conditions of a trekker should still be favorable as this trek gains a good altitude for a person who lives a sedentary lifestyle otherwise. The trail starts from the Gallu Devi temple and can easily be done by a beginner or a solo trekker.
However, with no difficult sections, some points should be kept in attention.
- Trekkers should carry good quality trekking shoes and trekking poles for the rocky and slippery sections of the trek.
- Be careful about the slippery and steeper section if you have taken the alternate route of the Bhagsu Waterfalls.
- Backpacks with sturdy straps, trek pants and t-shirts, hand gloves, sunglasses, toiletries, thermals, and headlamps are essential to carry.
Also Read: Shrikhand Mahadev Trek
3. Best Time For Triund Trek?
Here you go, the ‘Triund trek best time’ considered are apart from the season of the monsoon of July and August and the months of January and February for the peak winters in Triund, Himachal Pradesh. It can be done around the year for another 8 months. Precisely, Triund weather from March to June of spring and summer offers the best, while the post-monsoon time is preferred for clear scenic views of the mountain peaks during the trek. When it comes to the harsh weather conditions of April and May, adding a layer of warm clothing could help comfortable trekking. Triund trek in December gets blessed with its first snow; nobody would want to miss that!
In the summer season, temperatures during the day hours can range around 16°C to 25°C, while at nighttime, it can drop to 7°C to 10°C degrees. Post-monsoon, the trek weather changes with the fall in temperature, and the early winter months (September to December) witness fairly warm weather during the day with about 14°C to 18°C, whereas nights can see it drop to 1°C to 5°C cold temperature.
5. Places to Visit Nearby
- Dharamshala: Dharamshala tops as a famous city to visit in Himachal Pradesh that welcomes a diverse population of tourists all around the year and is often explored by trekkers of Triund. Nestled in the district headquarters of the Kangra valley, Dharamshala is a one-day exploration job that will take you to the rich coniferous forest, monasteries, tea gardens, and the international cricket stadium. This place also has a huge Tibetian settlement known for His Holiness the Dalai Lama’s Main Temple.
- Bir Billing or Palampur: For thrill chasers, these two hill towns are a must if traveling in your vehicle for Triund. Bir rested 30 km from the popular town Palampur in Himachal Pradesh. It is famous for paragliding which could be a perfect sport to get your hands on. It also offers several Buddhist monasteries and a large stupa. While the hill town, Palampur, grants a nature lover pure bliss with its famous tea gardens, waterfalls, birdlife, and views of the Dhauladhar range.
- McLeodganj to Triund Trek: Another tourist hub, Mcleodganj to Triund, 10km distance apart from Dharamshala, offers several trekking destinations for a wholesome experience such as kareri river trek, Guna Devi temple trek, and Indrahar pass trek. The distance is around 9km from McLeodganj. The trek gets introduced from Galu Devi Temple, which is 8 km from Mcleodganj. The base of the trek Galu Devi temple is just a short drive of 30 minutes from Mcleodganj.
1. Can we stay in Triund?
As per the Himachal government’s order, camping and staying at night is not allowed in Tarund.
2. Is there snowfall in Triund?
Best time to visit is during the months of January and February, if you want to see snowfall.
3. Can kids do Triund Trek?
Yes it’s is safe to go with kids but kids will get tired, especially when climbing.
4. How long is Triund Trek?
Triund Trek is approximately 9 km long. It is a one day trek which can be completed in 4-6 hours.