If you have ever traveled with Southwest Airlines, you must be aware of the cancellation policies that the airlines have. There are two modes that you can attempt while canceling a flight-online or telephone. You just need to keep your flight confirmation number ready so that you can provide it to a representative to begin the cancellation process. Once your flight has been canceled, you will be informed of any refund policies, if there are any.
Here are the steps to cancel a Southwest Airlines flight:
When you cancel your Flight Online
- You need to visit the website of Southwest Airlines and log in. Open the homepage of Southwest Airlines and log in to your account located at the top right of the page. Enter your user name and password and press the yellow “Log in” button.
- Go directly to the cancellation page. If you have not registered with the airlines, you can skip the logging process. You just need to visit the official website of the airlines and enter your confirmation number, first name, and last name. Then click on the “Continue” button. You must keep in mind that you have entered the name of the person who has originally booked the flight.
- Select your options from the tab displaying “Flight, Hotel, Car” located at the top of the homepage. It will direct you to a window that has several options and links. You need to choose the “Manage Reservations” link, located in the far-left column under the “Flight” header
- You then need to click the “Cancel Reservation” link that will redirect you to a new page that has various options. Choose the “Cancel Reservation” link located at the center of the page on top.
- Input your confirmation number, first name, and last name. You will notice 3 boxes popping up. Enter your confirmation number into the first one. Enter your first name in the second box and your last name in the list box. Then click the “Continue” button
- You have to evaluate your flight information. You will be able to see the booked itinerary and flight information on the display screen. If you have booked a round trip, you need to cancel the entire trip. There is no provision to cancel a one-way trip if you have booked a round trip. You can cancel it only if you have booked a one-way ticket.
- Go to the “Travel Funds” section at the bottom of the page and check it. You will notice a section called “Travel Funds” below the flight information. From there, you will get to know whether you will get a refund of the money you had paid for the flight.
- Cancel the reservation at the bottom of the page.
- You need to cancel within 24 hours to get a refund on nonrefundable fares
- You will get a refund in the original form of payment.
The next time you make your Southwest Airlines reservations, keep in mind the cancellation policies and then proceed further. You never know when you might need to cancel a flight!